The Roemer Arboretum on the campus of SUNY Geneseo was founded in 1990 through an endowed gift to the Geneseo Foundation by Dr. Spencer J. Roemer, Emeritus. It consists of 20 acres, located on the south campus of the College south of the residence halls and between Routes 20A/39 and Route 63. Entrance should be made from Routes 20A/39 to the South Campus parking lot J.
The area, once known as the Black Walnut lot, belonged to the Wadsworth Homestead from 1790 to the 1960s, when it was acquired by the college for the future expansion. A survey of the area by the Biology department has revealed a display of more than 70 species of trees, shrubs and wildflowers, including a magnificent group of oak trees which are more than 200 years old, and several black walnut trees estimated to be over 100 years old.
In this gift, Dr. Roemer expressed the wish that the area be used as a living outdoor classroom by the College faculty and students, to preserve and enhance the beauty of the Genesee Valley. Future plans include plantings indigenous to the northeastern area of the United States.
The maintenance and development of the Arboretum is supervised by an advisory board. The committee plans the expansion of the area through additional trees, shrubs and wildflowers.
The Arboretum is open, free of charge, from dawn to dusk. Visitors are encouraged to walk along the paths, admire the beauty of the Genesee Valley, inspect the variety of trees and plants, relax and enjoy the view from the gazebo and benches.